Knotty Musings

Ideas, philosophies, and evil plots to take over the world through love hatched here.


I Am Enough

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.

There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people
won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,

we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically
liberates others." ~ Marianne Williamson


Remove the Nots

Remove the Nots

Friday, July 8, 2011

Preventing Bed Bugs

Passing this along since bedbugs seem to be everywhere these days:

I received this from a friend who deals with situations that put her and her significant at risk of catching them more than most people. Here is what she shared:

I travel alot for work and my boyfriend works in hotels. We talk a lot of preventive measures. I spray down my luggage and shoes with a pesticide everytime I travel. I ask the hotel if they have had bed bug breakouts in the last year. I ...thoroughly inspect my room before I use it. I store my bag on the vanity in the bathroom. Upon returning home all clothing and bags are loaded in a hot dryer for 30+mins (120 deg will kill them). We also have bed encasements and keep treatments on hand at home. I spray down movie theater seats before using them too and keep my purse on my lap. I buy clothes on-line and avoid the stores. Sounds excessive but it can cost a home owner $5000 or more to de-infest their homes and much more to replace their furnishings. Prevention is the best medicine. Take it seriously. Anyone can get them.

I buy on-line from a site I found http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bed-bugs-c-39.html. I use products that have Pyrethrin. It is a natural pesticide that comes from Chrysanthimums. I heard about it on Dr. Oz. I have never had bedbugs and I don't plan on getting them, but that is because I have done my homework and take precautions. I keep a 2oz purse size spray bottle of a product called Sterifab in my purse and luggage.

Anyone can get them. I am a bug-a-phobe, so when I first started hearing about this in early 2010, I called a "bug guy" and asked for his opinion. We talked for an hour and he gave me a lot of good advice. Since then, I have come up with my own preventive measures and they seem to be working. Again, both my boyfriend and I are in and out of hotels daily/weeklly for our jobs and in several different states. We need to be prepared.

1 comment:

  1. Prepare an insecticide mixture of pyrethrins and fresh-water diatomaceous earth. At least one manufacturer produces a household insecticide D-20 with only .2% naturally derived pyrethrins and 1.0% Piperonyl Butoxide, which magnifies the pyrethrins effectivenes by 10 times. Natural pyrethrins are more expensive than many alternatives. The function of the pyrethrins is to stimulate the nervous system of the bugs so that the spasms will allow the diatomaceous earth to desiccate, puncture, and kill the bugs through mechanical action. Great care should be taken not to use products with salt-water diatomaceous earth or heat-treated diatomaceous earth, which can damage the lungs of any mammal (dogs, cats, or humans) which inhale it, and has also been known to cause cancer. Fresh-water diatomaceous earth, however, is commonly used to deworm cats, dogs, and humans, and is considered as safe as table salt. Others have used fruit and vegetable insecticides, comprised of a mixture of pyrethins and canola oil, which are usually safe for humans and most pets (aside from fish). - Lianne

    ReplyDelete