Knotty Musings

Ideas, philosophies, and evil plots to take over the world through love hatched here.


I Am Enough

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.

There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people
won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,

we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically
liberates others." ~ Marianne Williamson


Remove the Nots

Remove the Nots

Friday, July 16, 2010

One More Walk Around The Garden

"One more walk around the garden."
by Bob Perks

"Our time together is now measured in seasons," he said as
they sat on their front porch.

Walking is the best exercise for you. Not only in the physical
sense. But also for your mental and spiritual well being. This
walk is one I will never forget.

Up the hill behind my home runs a path that at one time would
take you into a beautiful wooded area. But in recent years
someone plowed down the trees and built their little piece of
the world. Oh, you can still get to the wooded area, but now
you must cut through the development or walk up through the
cemetery. If I want scenery I go through the development. If I
want to remind myself how blessed I am, I go through the cemetery.

Today's walk took me through the development.

There's a beautiful old stone house that I have admired since
moving here more than 10 years ago. I have spoken to an
older retired couple working in their yard nearly every time I
passed there. They must work long and hard in the garden
because their home is beautifully landscaped. Among the
bountiful flowers and bushes I could see Greek statues and
bird baths. There are trees whose names I am not familiar
with and lush ground cover of deep greens that remain that
way well into winter.

But in this past year I have noticed a change.

The bushes have grown beyond their earlier, well manicured
size. Many of the smaller trees have taken over their spots
as branches hang lower nearly covering the flower beds below.
This once pristine garden spot has become a reflection of the
condition of it's care takers.

They have grown too physically old to keep up with it.

"How are you today my friends?" I asked as I passed by their
front porch.

"We are as fine as can be expected, sir," the gentleman replied.

There they sat on the front porch of their home. He had on a
warm woolen jacket, open at the front revealing a blue sweater vest.
In spite of the fact that they hardly go any where, he wore a tie
as always.

She sat in an old wooden rocker wrapped from head to toe in a
beautiful autumn quilt. Beneath, she appeared to have a heavy
sweater and woolen pants. In contrast I was wearing a t-shirt
and jeans. At their age even the slightest chill requires warmer
clothing.

"Are you ready for winter?" I asked.

"In past years we looked forward to cold winter days. Our
fireplace and enclosed porch out back was a haven from the
heaviest storms. And a great place for a cup of tea and a good
book. Have you written another one yet?" he asked.

"Not yet published, but I have written stories along the way that
will be put into a collection very soon. I promise to bring one to
you," I said.

"I hope we are here to read it," he said.

"Are you leaving the area?" I asked.

"No my friend. Like the season we now find so beautiful, we are
in the Autumn of our lives. Our time together is now measured in
seasons. I pray that we survive the winter," he said.

Then turning toward his wife he said, "My love is not doing very well.
My heart aches for her. I am not sure that we will..." He began to cry.

I nervously brushed the leaves on the sidewalk with my feet not knowing
whether to say something or permit him to continue.

"I once loved the beautiful display Autumn created in our yard. I guess
I should be thankful that it has given us at least one more spectacular
show. But as the leaves begin to fall I see my wife's spirit begin to fade."

"I don't know if I ever told you this. But your beautiful handy work, your
gift for bringing life to the world in the form of breathtaking flowers and
trees, has lifted my spirits many times just when I needed it. For years
now I have walked by your home and paused long enough to be refreshed.
It must give you great satisfaction to see the fruits of your labor," I said.

"Yes, it has. Except for this year. We could do little because of my wife's
failing health. I always knew that I would be able to recognize when
our time together was coming to an end," he said.

Then as he stepped carefully off the porch he pointed to the garden
path that began nearby and wrapped the entire house.

"That trellis covered with roses was designed to look like the
gates of Heaven. I envisioned that one year we would enter those
gates one last time and walk along the garden path together. I knew
there would come a time when she would not be able to stand for
long periods."

He stopped for a moment and looked at her. She sat quietly never
saying a word and smiled her heavenly smile whenever their eyes made contact.

"I vowed to never walk that path alone. She has been by my side forever."

I walked over to the gate and looking at the surroundings I asked,
"Have you walked through it this year?"

"No. That is why it is in such disrepair," he replied. "But it is our
dream to see April together once more. And have one more walk along..." he stopped.

"Oh, my Lord," he said. "That is our favorite song."

"I'm not familiar with it. What's it called?"

"One more walk along the Garden" written by Lerner. It is from
a musical. It seems so very appropriate now. I guess we knew the
day would come and the longing for one more walk would leave us
cold like the winter," he said.

Then the thought came to me. You know where thoughts like these
come from.

"Do you have a wheel chair?" I asked.

"Yes. On the back porch. We only use it down stairs. I
couldn't maneuver her outside. The pathway is not paved," he said.

"Yes, but I can. Tell your wife we're going for a walk. I'll get the chair."

Picture for a moment the three of us outside the Gates of Heaven...
their Heaven. We carefully wrapped her in the quilt and added a
warm hat. He stood to her left along side the chair holding her
mitten clad hand. We began the journey together. Perhaps one last time. But with one stipulation.

"Forget that I am here," I said. "I want this to be your moment together.
I will remain quiet and out of the picture. Think of me as the hands of
God supporting her."

I tell you as sure as I am writing this, I did indeed feel invisible. It
was perhaps more in my mind than reality. But the second we
crossed through the gate, I could see her standing there beside him.
I was witness to a remarkable moment when he began to sing softly
to her. We had stopped for a moment and he knelt down in front of
her. It almost looked like he was about to propose. He sang
"One more walk along the garden, one more stroll along the shore."
Caressing his face, she leaned over and kissed him.

I have no idea how long it took. I wish it could have been forever.
One day it will be.

"Thank you! You have no idea what you have done for us," he said.

"You have no idea what you have done for me," I replied. "With
your permission this is a story for my next book."

Then his wife reached up, and touching my hand smiled at me. From
under her quilt she pulled out a small dried out rose she had plucked
along the way. She gestured for me to take it. Pausing for a moment
I grabbed her hand and placed it in his.

"He should have the last rose of summer. A flower to remind you both
that April is waiting for you."

In all of my remaining days I will forever be grateful that I had taken
that walk. You see I walked through Heaven's gate for "One more
walk along the Garden."

In closing I need to share this with you. After hearing him sing I
realized that I was familiar with that song. I have a CD by
Michael Feinstein. It is called the "Burton Lane Songbook Vol 1"

I share some of the words here with you.

"One more walk along the Garden"
by Alan Jay Lerner from the stage musical Carmelina (1979)


That old April yearning
Once more is returning
And I have a longing to wander

The leaves may be falling
But April is calling.
And the prim roses beckon me yonder

For one more walk along the garden
one more stroll along the shore.
One more memory I can dream upon
Until I dream no more.
For one more time perhaps the dawn will wait
And one more prayer it's not too late
To gather one more rose
before I say goodbye and close the garden gate.
"I wish you enough!"
J
Bob Perks
I encourage you to share my stories but
I do ask that you keep my name and contact
information with my work.

If you would like to receive Bob's Inspirational
stories, please visit http://www.IWishYouEnough.com

and submit your email address.
"I Wish You enough!"
© 2001 Bob Perks
P.O. Box 1702
Shavertown, Pa. 18708
Contact Bob 2believe@comcast.net

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear
much bigger.
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.
I wish you enough "Hello's" to get you through the final "Goodbye."

No comments:

Post a Comment