Knotty Musings

Ideas, philosophies, and evil plots to take over the world through love hatched here.


I Am Enough

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.

There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people
won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,

we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically
liberates others." ~ Marianne Williamson


Remove the Nots

Remove the Nots

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Building Community

Hello friends,

It's been some time since I've done an update here so I think it's overdue. Some would say that I'm over-committed while others would say I should be committed. I'll let you judge for yourselves.

Hmmmmm, where to start? School is going well and is nearly done for the quarter. I took Intro to Human Services this quarter, which has truly challenged me to look at myself, my biases, the value of my life experiences and their wounds. It is mightily uncomfortable at times but very valuable. Next quarter I'm taking criminal law and procedure. I am on the final stretch and should graduate the spring of '12 if all (math) goes well.

The nonprofit is coming together slowly but surely and small scale outreach will occur this summer at the farmer's market. I am writing the program now and will be working with a friend of mine to craft a formal proposal for funding. We'll see what happens.

I have thrown myself headlong into the efforts to reclaim our youth and our community from gangs and gun violence. We have had 16 shootings so far this year and they are only blocks from where I live. It is no longer a matter of "if", but rather when it will occur on my street. I feel it is my responsibility to be a part of the solution. To that end, I've done a number of things:

I am taking Gangs in Our Community training next Friday with my elected officials, gang interventionist and the Omaha police department. The class will help me to recognize gang colors, posturing, signals, graffiti, etc so that I can be proactive in identifying at risk or hardened gang members.


I have become a certified member of the Neighborhood Accountability Board, which works with non-violent juvenile offenders who are sorry for their crimes. The board members, parents and child work together to identify the child's interests, risk factors, areas of strength in relationships, etc and then work up a contract for the child to repay his or her community for the harm done. I'm excited to be a part because it allows me to use my youth service worker training and my family mediation training.


That's what's up with me. How about the rest of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment