Knotty Musings

Ideas, philosophies, and evil plots to take over the world through love hatched here.


I Am Enough

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.

There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people
won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,

we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically
liberates others." ~ Marianne Williamson


Remove the Nots

Remove the Nots

Sunday, October 17, 2010

What I've Been Up To

I have been pretty lax about blogging lately: Too much work, school, and community involvement.

Hmmmm let's see if I can catch you up without making this post exceptionally long. School is going well. I am taking Sociology this quarter. It is the pre-requisite for juvenile justice, a particular area of interest for me. I am taking the winter quarter off.


I have to have a hysterectomy on November 2nd. I have been struggling with endo for the past year (had one ovary removed last year) and none of the treatments have worked, so it is time to end the pain and bleeding and move on. I have begun the anti-candida way of eating, a mostly vegetarian, sugarless, soy free, dairy free and gluten free diet. The challenge of endo is that it usually combines itself with a trio of conditions: irritable bowel syndrome, lactose intolerance, and the endo itself. I hope to keep the endo from implanting itself again after surgery through proper nutrition. It is a healthier way of eating, so there will be benefits no matter what but I can't say it isn't challenging.

On the community involvement side of things, I had a very interesting meeting with 2 Supreme Court justices the other night to discuss juvenile and prison reform. I met with our NE Chief Justice and US Supreme Court Justice Thomas. Dinner went well and after grilling me and playing devil's advocate, both said that they were quite impressed with my arguments. Justice Heavican stated that life without parole began at about the same time that Supreme Court challenges to the death penalty started. The legislators realized that they needed a plan B. The problem is that plan B has become the norm. Justice Thomas stated that the feds imposed the sentencing rules and they have been most strictly adhered to in conservative states. They both feel that it is time for more rehabilitation and stated that the change has to occur on the state level with efforts such as the Coalition. Very exciting meeting. They both took my contact info, so we will see where that leads.

Other than that, I have been busy with the Neighborhood Accountability Board, a restorative justice program for non-violent offenders, Amachi mentoring (I mentor children who have a parent or sibling who is incarcerated) and working with my state senators to change the laws regarding life sentences without parole for those who commit their crimes under the age of 18.

I am, however, looking forward to the 6-8 week forced sabbatical that is the recovery time. It will be nice to only do what I want to do (other than checkups) during that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment