Knotty Musings

Ideas, philosophies, and evil plots to take over the world through love hatched here.


I Am Enough

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.

There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people
won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,

we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically
liberates others." ~ Marianne Williamson


Remove the Nots

Remove the Nots

Friday, October 30, 2009

Drinking From My Saucer

"Drinking from my saucer"
By Bob Perks


I had forgotten all about it. So, like
finding a ten dollar bill tucked in a suit coat,
or better yet, coming across a long lost friend,
this was precious.


When I was a child one of the most important persons
in my life at the time was my "Gramps." I loved
whenever he was around.

His smile and playful attitude always brought much
joy to my life. His bald head, round belly and
cigar made him the perfect image for what a grandfather
should be. He often brought me gifts including a Ukulele
introducing me to the "Three Little Fishies" song for the
first time.


How much of an impression was he on my life? So much so
that I recently purchased a cheap version of a ukulele
just to relive the memory.


But something else came rushing back just the other day.


My wife remembered that her father often drank coffee
from the saucer.


"I never understood that," she said.


I did. My Gramps always drank from his saucer, too. He told me it was to cool it off faster. Of course, I tried it, but

with tea. Mom would never let me have coffee at that age.


Not only was it true, but such a neat thing to do.


The very next day after this conversation with Marianne,
a "friend I never met" named Garnet, sent this link to me:
http://gloriousgrace.net/saucer/saucer.html


It is the song, "My Cup Has Overflowed" sung by Michael Combs in this version, http://www.michaelcombs.com


I recently added the title "Interpreter" (with a smile) to
my list of descriptive words when people ask me what I do
for a living.


So, here's my take on this precious memory. Everything

that happens to me has a deeper and more significant meaning

in my life. This, too carried a message.


The practice of drinking from the saucer is still very much
alive in some countries, perhaps even in your home.


The purpose
as I will remind you is to take the hot beverage and pour it
on the saucer so it cools faster. That occurs because the hot
liquid is spread over a larger surface allowing it to cool
more rapidly.


Life deals out many overwhelming challenges.


Sometimes they come
in numbers too many to handle. The ones with the most potential
to cause damage in your life should not be handled immediately
and directly. It may appear at very moment that the urgency
dictates immediate attention.


The truth is one should never
jump into a circumstance without first taking time to
evaluate its importance.


Acknowledge it, then put it in perspective by spreading it out
over time. You may feel overwhelmed and your life is out of
control. Take the hottest issues and let them cool until you can
see them for what they are.


When facing too many challenges, "drink from the saucer."


May your cup overflow!

"I wish you enough!"

J

Bob Perks

I encourage you to share my stories but
I do ask that you keep my name and contact
information with my work.

If you would like to receive Bob's Inspirational
stories, please visit http://www.IWishYouEnough.com
and submit your email address.

"I Wish You enough!"
© 2001 Bob Perks

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear
much bigger.
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.
I wish you enough "Hello's" to get you through the final "Goodbye."

No comments:

Post a Comment