Knotty Musings

Ideas, philosophies, and evil plots to take over the world through love hatched here.


I Am Enough

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.

There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people
won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,

we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically
liberates others." ~ Marianne Williamson


Remove the Nots

Remove the Nots

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Will You Dance With Me?

I was thinking the other day (a particularly rough day for me). I needed a friend to commisserate with me over any kind of ice cream, but all of my friends were busy with their daily activities - children, projects, work, errands, etc. Why don't we make more time to be with those whose company we enjoy most? Those who hold us up, cheer us up, make us feel loved, and give us wings when ours are broken.

My grandfather always used to say, "You should show love at all times, even when those you love aren't being particularly lovable because you never know when you will no longer have the chance." How many times have you told your friends OUT LOUD that you love them? Or have you assumed that they just know. Make your mouth the multiplier of all that is within your heart.


Will You Dance With Me?

READ THIS VERY SLOWLY.... IT'S PRETTY PROFOUND.

Too many people put off something that brings them joy just because they
haven't thought about it, don't have it on their schedule, didn't know it
was coming or are too rigid to depart from their routine.

I got to thinking one day about all those women on the Titanic who passed
up dessert at dinner that fateful night in an effort to cut back. From
then on, I've tried to be a little more flexible.

How many women out there will eat at home because their husband didn't
suggest going out to dinner until after something had been thawed? Does
the word 'refrigeration' mean nothing to you?

How often have your kids dropped in to talk and sat in silence while you
watched 'Jeopardy' on television?

I cannot count the times I called my sister and said, 'How about going to
lunch in a half hour?' She would gas up and stammer, 'I can't. I have
clothes on the line. My hair is dirty. I wish I had known yesterday, I
had a late breakfast, It looks like rain.' And my personal favorite:
'It's Monday.' She died a few years ago. We never did have lunch together.


Because Americans cram so much into their lives, we tend to schedule our
headaches. We live on a sparse diet of promises we make to ourselves when
all the conditions are perfect!

We'll go back and visit the grandparents when we get Steve toilet-trained.
We'll entertain when we replace the living-room carpet. We'll go on a
second honeymoon when we get two more kids out of college.

Life has a way of accelerating as we get older. The days get shorter, and
the list of promises to ourselves gets longer. One morning, we awaken,
and all we have to show for our lives is a litany of 'I'm going to,' 'I
plan on,' and 'Someday, when things are settled down a bit.'

When anyone calls my 'seize the moment' friend, she is open to adventure
and available for trips. She keeps an open mind on new ideas. Her
enthusiasm for life is contagious.. You talk with her for five minutes,
and you're ready to trade your bad feet for a pair of Roller blades and
skip an elevator for a bungee cord.

My lips have not touched ice cream in 10 years. I love ice cream. It's
just that I might as well apply it directly to my stomach with a spatula
and eliminate the digestive process. The other day, I stopped the car and
bought a triple-Decker. If my car had hit an iceberg on the way home, I
would have died happy.

Now...go on and have a nice day. Do something you WANT to......not
something on your SHOULD DO list. If you were going to die soon and had
only one phone call you could make, who would you call and what would you
say? And why are you waiting?

Make sure you read this to the end; you will understand why I sent this to
you.

Have you ever watched kids playing on a merry go round or listened to the
rain lapping on the ground? Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight or
gazed at the sun into the fading night? Do you run through each day on the
fly? When you ask ' How are you?' Do you hear the reply?

When the day is done, do you lie in your bed with the next hundred chores
running through your head? Ever told your child, 'We'll do it tomorrow.'
And in your haste, not see his sorrow? Ever lost touch? Let a good
friendship die? Just call to say 'Hi?

When you worry and hurry through your day, it is like an unopened
gift....Thrown away..... Life is not a race Take it slower. Hear the
music before the song is over.

It's National Friendship Week.. Show your friends how much you care. Send
this to everyone you consider a FRIEND. If it comes back to you, then
you'll know you have a circle of friends.

To those I have sent this to... I cherish our friendship and appreciate
all you do.

'Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might
as well dance!

3 comments:

  1. This makes one stop and realize just how short and precious our time is.
    As I get closer to turning seventy I think a lot about what I would do different if I could go back. If I am to be completely honest there is a lot I would change.

    Each day I wake up is a gift to me from God. What is that old saying? Take the time to smell the roses along the way.

    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think that sometimes we fall into the trap of thinking there will always be time to do the things we put off. Dishes, dusting, etc will wait; relationships won't. Either the relationship withers and dies without nurturing or the persons we care about do. There is nothing emptier than carving warm words on cold stone when the chance to have spoken kindly to a loved one is forever gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. Only it is hard to put this into practice! I'm trying to be more like that with the kids. Often times you'll find me playing with the kids instead of "Cleaning" or some other thing I should probably do.
    There was a saying that after you die God would ask you what you did with your time, not how much you cleaned your house.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete