Knotty Musings

Ideas, philosophies, and evil plots to take over the world through love hatched here.


I Am Enough

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.

There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people
won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,

we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically
liberates others." ~ Marianne Williamson


Remove the Nots

Remove the Nots

Saturday, July 25, 2009

As Is

All stories copyright 2006 Bob Perks
Today's Message:

"As is"

By Bob Perks

"That's got to be the worst advertising I have ever seen!" I said.
"What advertising?" he asked.
I pointed to the pin he was wearing on his jacket.
"As is!" I said.

He appeared to be embarrassed. His face turned a bright red and he couldn't
look me in the eye.

"Oh, that thing," he said as he fumbled to remove it.
"Don't take it off, I was really joking," I said as I grasped his hand. "Leave it there."
"I feel foolish," he said.
"Why?" I asked.

"I had that made for me. I wear it when...." he began to stumble over his words.
"When?"
"When I go out."
"When you go out where?"
"Out dancing...at the club and places," he said.

I waited for more. There wasn't any.

"That's it? What's it mean?" I asked him.
"Oh, I want to meet a lady. A companion, friend...you know."
"So the pin means..."

"What you see is what you get!" he replied loudly. Then he smiled.
"Oh, like a used car..."As is?" I said.

He started laughing. "I know it's silly, but I'm too old to be trying to impress
someone. They're all looking for "razzle-dazzle."
"You have razzle-dazzle!" I assured him.

Through his now increased laughter he said, "I have a little bit of "razzle"
but I think I lost my "Dazzle."

We both sat there laughing. "I can relate to that!" I said.

"Really, "As is" isn't a bad deal. I think it's a brilliant way to start a
conversation with a stranger," I said.

"Well, I have met a few ladies because of it," he said.

"Nothing became of it? I mean, you didn't meet the special love of
your life?" I asked.

"No. Most of them came "As is," too. But they needed a lot of work," he said.

"You're not buying a car there. I think we are all "As is." There's a
lot of mileage, a lot of issues, you know...the stuff of life," I said.

It got me thinking about things. I can picture those words on a sale agreement for
used equipment or as a description in a want add for something being sold.

Usually when you see them, you hesitate, simply because it suggests there may be
something wrong with it. Enough wrong that the seller didn't want to fuss with it.
They didn't want to invest anything more in it so you have to take it as it is.
The price is lowered, the expectations limited and you just hope someone
will take it because you don't want to keep it any more.

I sat quietly thinking about it.

Who would want something or someone marked "As is?"

The one with vision. The one who sees hope and potential. The one who looks at sand
and still sees a place to grow. The one who sees withered and lifeless and takes time to prune away
the dead parts and nurture the life back into it. The one who reaches for the rose knowing
there may be thorns, but willing to take a chance because they value the beauty in it.

The one who lights the smallest candle in the darkest room while others sit in
fear of the unknown.

God, take me "As is" and help me to see again. Cut away the lifeless, wasted parts of my life and
nurture it until it bears fruit worthy of You. Help me to see the beauty within my life. It has been buried
for so long in the thorns of negativity. Teach me to be the light for those who hide in darkness.

God, I am "as is," and pray that through you, I will become "As you want me to be."

"I believe in You!"
Bob Perks
I encourage you to share my stories with your friends but, when
copying I ask that you keep my name and contact information
attached so that new readers can find their way here. Use of this
story for commercial use is prohibited without direct permission
from the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment