Knotty Musings

Ideas, philosophies, and evil plots to take over the world through love hatched here.


I Am Enough

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.

There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people
won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,

we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically
liberates others." ~ Marianne Williamson


Remove the Nots

Remove the Nots

Saturday, July 25, 2009

A Love Story

A Great Love Story!

It was a busy morning,

approximately 8:30 am,

when an elderly gentleman

in his 80's, arrived to have

stitches removed from his

thumb. He stated that he

was in a hurry as he had

an appointment at 9:00am.

I took his vital signs and

had him take a seat,

knowing it would be over

an hour before someone

would to able to see him. I

saw him looking at his

watch and decided, since I

was not busy with another

patient, I would evaluate

his wound.

On exam, it was well

healed, so I talked to one

of the doctors, got the

needed supplies to remove

his sutures and redress

his wound.

While taking care of his

wound, we began to engage

in conversation. I asked

him if he had another

doctor’s appointment this

morning, as he was in such

a hurry.

The gentleman told me no,

that he needed to go to

the nursing home to eat

breakfast with his wife.


I then inquired as to her

health. He told me that

she had been there for a

while and that she was had

Alzheimer's disease.

As we talked, I asked if

she would be upset if he

was a bit late.

He replied that she no

longer knew who he was,

that she had not

recognized him in five

years now.

I was surprised, and asked

him, "And you still go every

morning, even though she

doesn't know who you are?"

He smiled as he patted my

hand and said,

"She doesn't know me, but

I still know who she is."

True love is neither

physical, nor romantic.

True love is acceptance of

All that is, has been, will

be and will not be.

I think that’s how we are

all meant to love each

other!


4 comments:

  1. That was just a touching anecdote. Your patient clearly set the bar for anyone who ever dares to speak the words, "I love you."

    Thanks for sharing,
    Leland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, it does indeed set the bar high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I finally am loved like that and I have loved many a friend and mentor like that. It matters and it's all part of my evil plot

    ReplyDelete